Oil Tank information
It is unlikely that an oil tank will ever combust without some thing else causing the fire, The Neighbours fence where they could catch it alight with a barbecue for example.
Oil Storage system and base with fire protection
So we have to protect the oil tank from any combustible materials and the safe distances are below.
Oil Tanks should be sited:-
- 1.8m away from non-fire rated eaves of a building;
- 1.8m away from a non-fire rated building or structure (e.g. garden sheds);
- 1.8m away from openings (such as doors or windows) in a fire rated building or structure (e.g. brick built house/ garage);
- 1.8m away from oil fired appliance flue terminals;
- 760mm away from a non-fire rated boundary such as a wooden boundary fence;
- 600mm away from screening (e.g. trellis and foliage) that does not form part of the boundary.
- 100mm minimum if near a fire rated structure for inspection and expansion.